UTS Mobile Ticketing - Step by step guide on how to use it

As on 30th April 2015 Western Railway has bid adieu to widely used CVM's coupons which travellers use to punch in using Coupon Validating Machines (CVMs) installed at various railway stations in Mumbai and surrounding towns.

I, myself was a big fan of these coupons as I use to rarely travel in trains and these coupons helped me bypass the big lines and directly punch in the CVM's coupons in the Coupon Validating Machines and zipp off the catch the train in truly Mumbai style :)

I was very disappointed when @AmhiDombivilkar re-tweeted that 30th April was the last date to use CVM coupons.

I hurriedly started searching for an alternate solution which will help me and I found out these three solutions:

1. JTBS (Jansadharan Ticket Booking Sevaks)

- I didn't knew much about this so I didnt bother to search

2. ATVMs

- there was lot of complaints from the commuters so again I left this option

3.  Unreserved Mobile Ticketing system (UTS Mobile Ticketing)

- this one excited me so I thought I will avail this facility

I had to spend some time in understanding how it works and how can one avail this. But it was a good experience so I thought I will share with everybody so that they just have to go through these easy steps and use this amazing easy solution. Kindly note these service is only available for commuters who are travelling in Western / Central / Harbour lines in Mumbai and for travellers in Chennai who use Chennai Egmore to Tambaram route.

So lets start.

You need to follow two major steps to use UTS Mobile Ticketing service in Mumbai and Chennai.

First you need to

register yourself on Indian Railway Govt site and then 

download UTS app (Android & Windows Phone) from Centre for Railway Information System. 

Yes, right now it is only available on these two platforms. You can click on the link to visit those apps pages.  For screenshots I have used Android platform.


Step one - Register for UTS Mobile Ticketing service

To register visit this link - https://www.utsonmobile.indianrail.gov.in


UTS Mobile Ticketing service - login page
UTS Mobile Ticketing service - login page


First time user need to Sign Up and they will get One Time Password (OTP) on the mobile which they have registered


UTS Mobile Ticketing - Sign up details
UTS Mobile Ticketing - Sign up details



You will have to enter and validate the OTP here



Then you will come to User Registration page.. this is a very important stage.. Enter all the details as per your need..

UTS Mobile Ticketing - your frequent travel and other details
UTS Mobile Ticketing - your frequent travel and other details


Operator = Select your telecom provider
City = right now we have only Mumbai and Chennai :)
Train Type = Based on my City selection i.e. Mumbai I got Ordinary as Train Type
Ticket Type = here there are two option 1. Journey and 2. Return. Select according to your need.. I you want one way you can select Journey.
You can change these options later so don't worry about what you have selected

Number of Adult & Number of Child = select according to your needs
Class = First & Second
Payment Mode = RWALLET

Indian railways I think has integrated RWALLET with Paytm.

Select ID Card type = here there are lots of option so select accordingly.

Frequent Travel Route = you can select your frequent route. This saved option will help you to complete your transaction quickly once you have downloaded the apps - you dont need to select your frequent journey there.. it will be auto populated.

Then you can tick the terms and conditions and REGISTER!!



Step two - Register for UTS Mobile Ticketing service - filling your wallet!! :)

Login again and as a best practice, I suggest you change your password.

Now, you need to add some money to your RWALLET so that you can travel hassle free!!

Wallet recharge details
Wallet recharge details

Click on Wallet Recharge and enter the recharge amount you want. Again, my suggestion would be to recharge with minimum balance of  Rs 100 just to get a hang of things and then later on you can top up with whatever amount you want. I have recharged with Rs 100.


When you click on RECHARGE  you will get the above screen, as I mentioned earlier Indian Railways I think has tied up with Paytm guys for this service... you can now make payment..



As you can see, you have three options to choose from 1. Paytm login  2. Debit Card  3. Netbanking

Select according to your need and recharge!

You can see you balance one you are back on your main dashboard - Wallet Balance.


Step three - Register for UTS Mobile Ticketing service - download the UTS Mobile Ticketing Apps! 

I will be covering only for Android version so Windows Phone guys dont be upset with me.. I think it should be a similar process..

Goto to Google Play search for IR UNRESERVED TICKETING APP (Indian railway ticketing app) and when you get the below option, install the app.

UTS Mobile Ticketing App for Android
UTS Mobile Ticketing App for Android



Voila there you go!! Open the app and Bon Voyage!!!!

UTS Mobile login screen
UTS Mobile login screen

You now have Centre for railway information systems app to travel all over Mumbai by train just in few clicks!!!

UTS Mobile Ticketing Dashboard
UTS Mobile App Dashboard


I have prepared these steps in a haste so that you dont have to waste time in understanding how it works or be surprised as in what is stored for you... so kindly excuse my typo / grammatical errors and if  you have any feedback or suggestion, let me know I will try to implement those :)

Take care!!